Top 5 Harmful Shampoo and Conditioner Ingredients
You invest so much time and money to get your hair done by professionals with the best products on the market, so why wouldn’t you use the best shampoo, conditioner, and styling products to maintain your look in between salon visits? Yes, these drugstore products are cheap which of course make them appealing but there is a reason they are so inexpensive. Along with many other beauty products, shampoos and conditioners are packed with harmful chemicals that can actually cause more damage to hair. What are these chemicals? We listed these top 5 harmful ingredients that are commonly found in shampoos and conditioners that you should look out for:
- Sulfates (SLES and SLS) -Sulfates are ingredients often found in cleaning products such as laundry detergent but are also commonly used in shampoo. Sulfates create lathering foam which is what makes many feel that their hair clean. But sulfates damage hair causing it to increase frizz, become brittle and even stunt your hair’s growth.
- Parabens– Parabens were created in order to preserve beauty products. Who wants bacteria and fungus in their makeup, lotion, and hair care products? While this sounds like a genius solution to make the products we use last longer, unfortunately parabens are filled with chemicals that are linked to an increase growth of breast cancer cells.
- Sodium Chloride-Sodium Chloride, also known as salt, is used in shampoos and conditioners to create a thicker consistency. While sodium chloride is not exactly harmful, it can cause a sensitive, dry, and itchy scalp and is even known to be the cause of hair loss.
- Formaldehyde-Formaldehyde is possibly the most harmful ingredient you can find in your shampoo. Formaldehyde is found in many personal care products in addition to many building materials such as walls, cabinets, furniture and more. As a known human carcinogen, formaldehyde is absorbed through the skin and can cause allergic reactions and cancer.
- Alcohol– Alcohol is found in many shampoos and can cause a drying effect. Some alcohols are actually good for your hair and help retain moisture such as Cetearyl and Stearyl. The ones you need to look out for are Isopropyl or propanol.
You trust us to cut, color, and style your beautiful hair, so trust us to guide you in making the right product choices too. Book an appointment with us, and we will work with you to find the best products for your hair type, style, and budget. Some of our favorite brands are Kerastase, OLAPEX, Amika, Moroccanoil, Kerasilk, and more! Speak to your stylist about the right products for you and let us help you not only look and feel your best, but healthy too.